THREE DAYS BEFORE:
Combine all marinade ingredients in large mixing bowl. Add beef, trimmed of fat, and allow to marinate in fridge for two or three days, turning meat several times daily.
THE DAY BEFORE:
Cover dried chestnuts with water in a bowl and leave to soak overnight.
THE DAY OF:
1. Remove meat and drain, reserving marinade.
2. Heat olive oil in heatproof casserole. Add meat and chopped onion and brown on all sides, then add chestnuts and brown briefly.
3. Pour 300 ml of marinade over the meat. Cover and cook, 90 minutes in cool oven (150°C) adding more marinade – but not all - as needed.
4. Remove casserole from oven, sprinkle with sugar, add whiskey and simmer on hob, uncovered for 15 minutes,
turning until sugar has melted and browned.
5. Whisk flour into remaining marinade, add wine, pour over mixture and return to oven or heat on hob until sauce has thickened.
6. Skim off any fat from liquid, check if sauce requires salt and pepper and remove bay leaf.
7. Serve immediately alongside homemade mash potatoes, green beans and Cabernet Sauvignon.